Mystic, Connecticut is a charming coastal town known for its historic seaport, beautiful waterfront, and quaint downtown area. Some of the town’s hidden gems include:
- The Mystic Seaport Museum: This is a must-see for anyone interested in the history of seafaring and shipbuilding. The museum features a collection of historic ships, including the Charles W. Morgan, the last surviving wooden whaleship in the world.
- The Mystic Arts Center: This hidden gem features rotating exhibits of contemporary art, as well as classes and workshops for adults and children.
- The Mystic Aquarium: This popular attraction is home to a variety of marine life, including beluga whales, sea lions, and penguins.
- The Denison Homestead: This historic house museum offers visitors a glimpse into the lives of the Denison family, who were prominent shipbuilders in Mystic during the 19th century.
- The Olde Mistick Village: This outdoor shopping and dining destination is a popular spot for visitors looking for unique gifts and souvenirs.
- The Mystic River Bascule Bridge: It is a historic drawbridge that spans the Mystic River, offering beautiful views of the river and the surrounding area.
- The Mystic River Park: A great place for a picnic or a stroll along the river, with playgrounds for kids, kayak and paddleboard rentals, and plenty of grassy areas to relax and enjoy the scenery.
Additional hidden gems in Mystic, Connecticut include:
- The Mystic Outdoor Art Festival: This annual event features the works of local and regional artists and takes place in the historic downtown area.
- The Mystic & Noank Library: This historic library is home to a collection of books, manuscripts, and artifacts related to the history of Mystic and the surrounding area.
- The Mystic River Boathouse: Located on the Mystic River, this boathouse offers kayak and paddleboard rentals, as well as guided tours of the river.
- The Esker Point Beach: This secluded beach offers visitors a peaceful spot to relax and enjoy the sound of waves and the beautiful views of the Mystic River.
- The Mystic Pizza: This is the pizza parlor that was featured in the 1988 film “Mystic Pizza” starring Julia Roberts and Lili Taylor.
- The Mystic Drawbridge Ice Cream: This ice cream shop has been serving up delicious treats for over 50 years and is a must-visit spot for those with a sweet tooth.
- The Mystic River Greenway: This trail runs along the Mystic River and is a great spot for hiking, biking, or just enjoying the scenery.
- The Mystic Brewery: This local brewery offers tours, tastings, and a variety of beers on tap.
These are additional hidden gems that make Mystic a great place to visit and discover new things.